Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Crash into me

I treated my right ear with a bunch of electroshocks for about a half hour. It appears dear kitty has caused irreversible damages to the cable of my earplugs which was why my ear feels a bit toasted. Like my Mac but ear still works.


Visiting the new and awesome Whole Foods store turned out to be a depressing experience. To begin with, one of the first things that caught my eye when I got there was a very pretty sweater (at a whole foods store, yes, go figure). The price quickly cooled me down - something in the $100 range. Was it organically grown cotton or antibiotic and hormone-clean sheep wool, I don't know.

Second, as adviced, I went to the food court section and what's offered is nothing but the mall food court experience with a "wholesome" label. The prices seem pretty reasonable and it's oh, so good for you!... but it's still a freaking food court, packed with Dave Matthews Band fans. Blah.

I walked around, actually bought some yummi herb salami and some other shit. And then I went to the bread section. I like my bread good and have located a couple of bakeries, one of them right down the street, that I like to shop from. Amazingly enough, they carried that bakery's bread at the hippie store, so I checked out the price and I am pretty sure I actually moaned out loud. It was $2 (two bucks) or 50% (fifty percent) more than at the bakery. For a $4 bread, I'd say that's just too much.

So, I left that section and moved quickly towards the check-in. Walking out I started thinking of how that store would hit the local businesses like Micuchi (the hippies have a good selection of salami's, cheeses, and wine, as well as an ethnic food section that covers Italian), that bakery I mentioned, and so on... and I realized there would be no hit. Because, wholesome or not, hip(pie) or not, that store still offers convenience shopping experience. Places like Micuchi, and One Fifty Ate, that bakery - Big Sky Bread, the coffee shops and diners do carry the community spirit, the cosiness and almost intimacy that seems to be so characteristic of Portland. I know it's the good old Ginormous Corp. against the local shop play again but Portland seems to be prooving there's a market for both (I don't know if there's market for Wild Oats anymore though).

I could have sweetened the experience with some gelato but I figured I'll do it at some other time and location because: 1. I hate Dave Matthews Band fans and that yuppie/hippie crowd with uncharacteristic passion. 2. I know where they make and deliver that gelato from and it happens to be pretty close to where I live, a nice local coffee shop. 3. I am hoping to drag Josh along because I bet it's gooooooood.


I don't like myspace anymore. There's too much featured shit on my home page, from artist, book, and filmmaker to Madonna-designed dress. It is sickening in a way.

No comments: